GoneDragRacing.com

Top Notch Drag Racing Event Coverage Across the Northeast

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Holeshot Wheels Ultimate Outlaw Series Shootout - LVD 2009
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:08 pm 
Pimp Status

Rolling into the track late Friday afternoon, there were a few race teams already at the track with their camps set up, ready for an awesome weekend of racing. The Pritchett Boys were running around taking care of last minute details for the race, and were fired up for the weekend just like everyone else. Little did we know at that point that Mother Nature was also coming to the party, except she was on the way to throw a wrench in the plans and not help us out.

Image Image Image Image

We got a good soaking on Friday night, which continued on through Saturday morning. We had a break in the rain, and things were loking good. All of the teams took the time to brush away the standing water in their pits while the LVD crew took out the Jet and other equipment and started to dry the track. Not long after that, we got hit with a band of storms that didn't look like it was going to let off at all. By noon, there was no choice but to call the race for the day, as we had a curfew-free Sunday to get the race in. The race being cancelled for the day didn't stop the fun, however!! It just accelerated the timetable for the after-race Pit activities. The coolers and grills came out, and the race teams spent the rest of the afternoon, and well into the night, hanging out and having a good old time. On the back of everyone's minds was "I hope this rain goes away!!" Nate and Adam kept their heads high and had a positive outlook on things, which carried through for the entire weekend.

Team CoRuPt had some other thoughts on their mind though.. like water testing their Rhino. check out the videos :) Good thing Paul Major and crew were there to fish him out!

Image Image Image Image

The break in racing action gave us some time to check out the sponsors, particularly Holeshot Wheels. Joe from Holeshot made some absolutely amazing custom trophies for the Shootout Series, they are real front wheels (valued at $600 I am told) mounted on a pedastal. Check out the images to see the detail and craftsmanship that goes into their wheels, and how they carry over their expertise to the custom trophies. Every racer that saw the trophies was pretty much drooling over them, and wanted nothing else but to win and have the opportunity to display that trophy prominently. You may see Rockin' Rob Cherkas and Joe from Holeshot next to the stunning Holeshot Wheels Model :)

Image Image Image Image

Sunday rolled around, and we saw the teams getting their rides out of the trailers and race prepped. The LVD crew was busy drying the track, which was a long process due to the sheer amount of rain that we had in the past few days. They even enlisted some of the die-hard fans to get their street cars out and make laps on the surface to get some heat into it. Once the track was safe and dry, we heard some sounds that were music to our ears -- race engines warming up, and calls to the staging lanes!

Image Image Image Image

Pro and Super Pro cars came out first, and they did not disappoint. We saw some good looking doorslammers making some solid passes, heating up the track for the faster cars at the same time. Check out the sequence of Keith Falcone in his beauty of a black Camaro putting it on the bumper on his first time run, showing us how much bite the track had! Everyone was anxious to get through the bracket cars and hit the heads up part of the program, with Outlaw 10.5 coming up first.

Image Image Image Image

The Coast Chassis Design Outlaw 10.5 cars pulled in to the burnout box, and you could feel the electricity in the air. Anthony Disomma in his sick orange Mustang was the first to lay down the speed, with a 7.27 pass. Billy Mitchell in the fastest S-10 around pulled up and one-upped Disomma, running a 7.14 pass. To noone's surprise, the champ Joe Newsham took off like a rocket with his front tires hanging for a good part of the track. Joe put up a 7.04 @ 205mph pass, good enough to take the #1 qualifier spot from Billy Mitchell, for now. Fred Brunn had a wild ride in his Camaro, getting out of shape out of the hole and staying on the throttle, a choice that caused him to get too close for comfort to the right hand wall about 300 feet out. Tommy Kasper rolled up in his Mustang, and did a John Force style burnout to get some heat in the tires and the track. His car was hauling til he got out of shape down track and had to lift off, still going a 7.49 @157 mph, good enough for the #4 spot. Scott Guadagno went 8.59, headed back to the pits to work on that tune.

Image Image Image Image

Next up to the beams was the Precision Nitrous Technologies 8.50 Indexcars. We had 10 rides in this class, a dedicated bunch who all had a very long ride to get to LVD. TJ Kasper came out and did what he does, and snatched the #1 qualifier spot for the time being with a 8.55 pass. Jason Penna, no stranger to 8.50 Index Wins, was right on his tail with an 8.61. The PA boys, Mike Pyott and Marc Schankweiler were even in the middle of the field with 8.64 passes. Mike Thompson and Angelo Valla were not too far behind, with 8.67 and 8.74 passes, respectively. Rockin' Rob came out with his Precision Nitrous Hex Plate powered car ready to wow us all, but ended up smoking the tires right off the hit. He's got it under control though, as Rob and the rest of the teams head back to the pits to change their tunes around now that they know the track conditions.

Image Image Image Image

GMPartsDirect.com Outlaw Drag Radial cars already have a traction disadvantage due to the running on radial tires, today that disadvantage was especially evident. All of the Drag Radial cars had traction issues, and the crew chiefs headed back to the pits scratching their heads, trying to figure out how to go A to B today. Mother Nature really had us by the crankshaft at this point!

Image Image Image Image

Round #2 of The Coast Chassis Design Outlaw 10.5 cars came out after another session of Pro and Super Pro. Everyone returned to the stands, hoping to see some six second passes out of the amazing machines they were just checking out in the pits. GDR headed to the top end to catch the action for this round. Joe Newsham lined up against Anthony Disomma, the battle of the Mustangs. Joe got out of shape and had to let off, not able to best his first qualifier time. Anthony Disomma snatched the #1 qualifier spot from Joe, running a 6.99@201 to the applause of the crowd. Little did they know, that would not be the only 6 second pass of the day! Tommy Kasper strapped the rocket to his Mustang and some GDR vinyl to its front end, and ripped down the track, putting up a 6.72 @ 216 pass, taking the number one qualifier spot from Disomma and running low E/T of the day for Outlaw 10.5. This is also one of the quicker if not the quickest pass we've seen in cometition out of the Kasper and Christy camp, track conditions taken into consideration. Scotty Guadagno bettered his last time, running a 7.95 in round 2. Mitchell puts up an 8.08 and will stick with his 7.14 run from the first round.

Image Image Image Image

The Precision Nitrous Technologies 8.50 Indexcars came back out, fresh with information from the last pass and ready to go 8.500s. Mike Pyott was almost there, adding a lot to the car and running the day's best (at the time) 8.518. TJ Kasper came by on his pass and ruined that for Mike, going an 8.513 and taking the #1 qualifier spot by .005 seconds. Penna put more into the car as well and bettered his last pass, running an 8.574 in the second qualifying round. The qualifying ladder was as follows:

1. Kasper 8.513
2. Pyott 8.518
3. Gardner 8.546
4. Penna 8.574
5. Thompson 8.590
6. Schankweiler 8.614
7. Skojec 8.618
8. Valla 8.749
9. Ashnault 9.12
10. Cherkas 17.74

Now was the true test, we would see if the GMPartsDirect.com Outlaw Drag Radial cars did that they needed to do to get down the track. While we were on the top end, we started to feel some sprinkles, pretending this was not really happening again, and praying it was just some stray raindrops. Unfortunately, it started sprinkling down on the starting line as well, and round #2 of drag radial qualifying was cut short by the weather.

It turned out that the entire event would be cut short at this point. By the time the track would have been dried, another storm was on its way and had a 100% chance of hitting Lebanon Valley. There was no way the race would get done, and the Pritchetts reluctantly threw in the towel for the day. Everyone on the premesis was disheartened at the outcome because deep down inside they may have been fearing this very thing, but there was really nothing that could be done. Everyone in attendance felt the electricity in the air all weekend surrounding this race series. When we mentioned die-hard fans earlier, we were not kidding! There were a couple hundred fans in the pits all morning on Sunday, meeting the race teams and getting their event T-shirts signed by the drivers. We are absolutely amazed and thankful to all of the fans that stuck out the bad weather and came to support the race, where on a normal day most would have gave up and stayed home. We can only imagine what the race would have been like had the weather cooperated -- no doubt it would have been a packed house!

Image Image Image Image

Mother Nature took one last opportunity to give us the middle finger on Sunday, bringing out the sun in between rain storms for an hour or two and putting up TWO rainbows over the track. The sunlight didn't last long, there was no way the track would have been dry before the rain picked up again.

Image Image Image Image

Don't forget, Doc and the Inside Drag Racing crew was in the house on Sunday filming footage for the Inside Drag Racing TV Show. The show will be aired on Fox Sports Network on September 20th, set your DVR/VCR/whatever you have to do to catch the action! You'll see intervies with Tommy and TJ Kasper, along with Gil Christy, talking about their Outlaw 10.5 and 8.50 Index Race Programs. Doc also spoke with Paul Major and his one of a kind twin turbo Outlaw Drag Radial Corvette, and finished up the day with an interview with Rockin' Rob Cherkas in the Precision Nitrous Technologies powered Mustang.

We'd like to give a big thank you to Nate and Adam Pritchett for sticking through the hard times like this and pressing on with promoting this series and bringing heads up racing to us. Joe from Holeshot wheels put it perfectly -- Nate and Adam's dedication to the program shows in the faces of each and every racer and spectator that was at the Valley this weekend. It is grass roots race programs like this that bring out heads up racing to the masses and give some real exposure to the local race teams. We all know that Nate and Adam have something special brewing with this series, and it is only going to get larger! It's really hard for me to explain how big this race is going to be to the people that could not witness it on their own, but you still have a few chances! The Ultimate Outlaw Shootout Series returns to MIR on September 12th, Cecil County Dragway on September 26th, and Carolina Dragway on November 14th.

Thanks to Big Joe for sticking with me all weekend through this, and laying down the video camera and picking up the SLR to grab some stills! Also thanks to John for the video clips, they should be available later this week.

Full Photo Gallery from the Holeshot Wheels Ultimate Outlaw Shootout Series at Lebanon Valley Dragway

Outlaw 10.5 Qualifying Sheet

8.50 Index Qualifying Sheet

Outlaw Drag Radial Qualifying Sheet

GoneDragRacing.com Gallery

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm 

Post subject: Re: Holeshot Wheels Ultimate Outlaw Series Shootout - LVD 2009
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:13 pm 
Pimp Status

we have limited video guys, I need to go through it, hopefully by Wed night

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm 
60ft

WOW! Amazing job....as always. Thanks again....see ya soon.

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm 
60ft

Great coverage Seth as usual, I always look forward to your write ups. Thanks again for all the great food. Your burgers are second to none. You put a good beating on that golf cart this weekend, you might need to get some bead locks to keep the tire on the rim for next time.You were by far the happiest person all weekend I seen playing in the mud. Thanks again for your photos, coverage and dedication. It's appreciated by all.

Ski

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:29 pm 
1000ft

GREAT JOB on the write up Seth! I would swear Mark wrote that and emailed it to you. You captured the weekend perfectly with the ups and downs of racing with a hurricane off the coast. :mad2:

M&M Competition Engines
Hole Shot Wheels..PM For Pricing
WWW.MARSCHANMOTORSPORTS.COM

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:12 am 
Staged

Thanks for all that you do for our cause.We as racers cant tell you how important you are.Keep up the amazing work Seth.[color=#400080]Your Pal Rockin Rob Cherkas.[/color]

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:59 am 
Pimp Status

Awesome write-up and pictures Seth and Big Joe!

KOP prove me wrong :)

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:23 pm 
60ft

AAAHHHH! The good old days.

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:10 pm 
Pimp Status

First thread updated w/ qualifying times

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:52 pm 
Quarter mile

Great Job Seth, getting better each time and really detailed, I enjoyed the read and what about trophies, I only saw a model with something around her, lol.

Hey Dave O is that what I think it is above ?????

Proud Supporter of GoneDragRacing.com

Web Friend bbphotondesign.com

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:31 pm 
60ft

noricehere wrote:

Yes it is and it still say's "Thanks to Belinda" on the tail gate.lol The guy I sold it to put tape over it s he didn't have to answer who Belinda was.lol

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:42 pm 
Pimp Status

Dave@Finishlineperf wrote:
noricehere wrote:

Yes it is and it still say's "Thanks to Belinda" on the tail gate.lol The guy I sold it to put tape over it s he didn't have to answer who Belinda was.lol

Old car of yours Dave?

When I was checking out the pits, I was like, :eek: that wagon is cool lookin.. certainly moves too

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:34 pm 
60ft

Great job Seth - the write up is awesome and the photo's are great as usual!

Only 10 8.50 cars?? I think the forecast must've scared the boys (.....and Ali too!!). :chevy:

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:54 pm 
Quarter mile

Dave@Finishlineperf wrote:
noricehere wrote:

Dave, that's just crazy it's still alive and well, even after the guy rolled it and stuff it looks like a new car, man those were the good old days, four doors, real exhaust and streetable muscle launching like hell at the track.

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:55 am 
1000ft

That was one hard running car last weekend.

M&M Competition Engines
Hole Shot Wheels..PM For Pricing
WWW.MARSCHANMOTORSPORTS.COM

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 am 
Quarter mile

mrhockey wrote:
That was one hard running car last weekend.

Marc, back when all this started, Dave drove that wagon just the same, sure was cool to see it go low to mid 8's at like 3,900lbs, I have a pic of it somewhere when he was in Orlando with it in the semi finals.

Post details Warn user
 Profile E-mail